For this project, originally, I planned on creating a feminist piece, but the execution fell short when the projections did not show up well enough to be viewable, so I scrapped that idea and started over. The second (or third) time around, I decided to stop putting so much focus/ emphasis on what I was projecting, and to start focusing my attention on what to project onto, and to let the theme of the work come to after playing around with the object(s). I began scouring my house and thrift store for strange items I could turn into video projection art. Eventually, after digging through the garage for about an hour, I found the item I knew I wanted to work with. I found the motorized/ spinning base for my miniature tinsel christmas tree and decided it was perfect because when turned on, it spins and reflects colors with lights. After tinkering around with it, I noticed I needed something on it in order to reflect the light and colors. I then got this idea of creating a new world within a cup, placed atop the spinning christmas tree base, and took off with the idea. Inside the cup I placed an alien, and made a scene depicting an alien at a portal, perhaps entering our world, or leaving through the portal to depart back to his own planet. I wanted to convey themes and thinking about new worlds, planets, aliens, space, all while creating something aesthetically pleasing. Overall, I think it turned out great and I had a lot of fun playing around with objects for this project. In the future, I'd like to expand this project as an installation with multiple projectors so I could create several mini alternate worlds / universes through cups and with refracting light.
May 2, 2018
Final Blog: For my final project I decided to create a t-shirt design. Many people are creating t-shirt designs with writing of their own or someone else's, much like Virgil Abloh with off-white, so I decided that I would try it out. I had a few of my friends each create a design on the shirt along with my own. In the center of the shirt I was going to do a screen print of “project black” but just from financial issues, I had to re-think my approach. I decided to safety pin the “project black” to the shirt much like a track jersey, the back was supposed to have a safety pinned number as well, but it did not turn as well as the front. Overall, I think that I could have pushed this project more, I was not completely satisfied with this project at all. I really think being able to screen print the “project black” on to the shirt would of made it look a lot cleaner. Moving forward, when I do have a better financial situation I am going to create this t-shirt how I now envision it and make it part of my wardrobe.