I recently have been interning for a friend's company creating ads for Instagram, videos, and working on their website. He wanted one of the ads to have self writing text in it so I had to teach myself how to do this (I'm not super familiar with After Effects) So here's the ad I made and how I did it!
Ad for Sublmnl Gear
How To: Self writing letters in Adobe After Effects
1. Pick your font style and size.
2. Position words were you want them
3. Select pen tool
4. Make sure the text layer is selected then trace the letters like you would if you were hand writing them with pen tool.
5. After it is all traced select Effect → Generate → Stroke
6. Select reveal original image
7. Make sure your brush size is large enough to cover all of the letters
8. Select the drop down effect menu for your text
9. Click effects
10. Click Stroke
11. Set start to zero
12. Drop a key wherever along the timeline when you want the writing to start
13. Set start to 100
14.Drop a key wherever along the timeline when you want the writing to stop
And here's the final product!