For this project, I wanted to combine the digital and the analog in a unique way that also felt colorful, fun, personal, and stayed true to my aesthetic. I knew I wanted to work with home photo / video and polaroids since the beginning of this unit, but my final project ended up changing slightly. For the digital component, I took photos using my SLR camera, then uploaded them to my computer. Then I digitally altered the images using photo editing processes and photoshop in order to give each photo a glitch color / anaglyph / 3d aesthetic. I wanted to focus on keeping the colors as bright and saturated as possible to make them vivid and intense to look at, but some of the color got drained in the final outcome with the polaroids. After extensive editing, I projected the finished/ altered photos onto the walls using my projector, and also blew them up on the tv using an hdmi cable and my laptop. I then took a picture of each photo using my polaroid camera, turning each digitally manipulated photo into an analog memory I wanted the final images to be in polaroid form because that is the analog part of the digilog-collision, but also because the minute stature of the photos makes the viewer have to get in close to view them making it feel more personal and intimate, which is the purpose of preserving memories. Overall, I wanted to communicate and capture scenes from my life but in a new, colorful way. I loved playing around with polaroids for this project because I always want a reason to shoot film, and finally got a chance to experiment with glitch art. I also think that in the age of social media and overexposure, it's nice to have personal, archived memories that I get to keep all to myself. I also think this communicates how art can be a lie, because the glitching / editing of the photos appears to be just as is from the polaroid standpoint, but it was actually carefully curated and the images are "false".
May 2, 2018
Final Blog: For my final project I decided to create a t-shirt design. Many people are creating t-shirt designs with writing of their own or someone else's, much like Virgil Abloh with off-white, so I decided that I would try it out. I had a few of my friends each create a design on the shirt along with my own. In the center of the shirt I was going to do a screen print of “project black” but just from financial issues, I had to re-think my approach. I decided to safety pin the “project black” to the shirt much like a track jersey, the back was supposed to have a safety pinned number as well, but it did not turn as well as the front. Overall, I think that I could have pushed this project more, I was not completely satisfied with this project at all. I really think being able to screen print the “project black” on to the shirt would of made it look a lot cleaner. Moving forward, when I do have a better financial situation I am going to create this t-shirt how I now envision it and make it part of my wardrobe.